Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Pacific Brings an Overnight Guest
I don't think I've referenced my Sherpa at all in this blog. But, it's true, the amount of change I've endured and the strength I've acquired to shift my perspective in the last 18 months has all come from a few conversations with her. She made note of that as she read through my last blog entry. "Hummm," she said. "There are some points in the first paragraph that sound so familiar!" And, it dawned on me that as usual, she was right. So, in the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, it goes to her. All of it.

This girl is a coveted spirit; being around her will definitely awaken your soul. She can energize any room and her affection has prolific effects on the people it. The song, "Little Drummer Boy" was written for people like her in mind. She 100 percent marches to the beat of her own drum and surely is one-of-a-kind.

I say that because she brings this delectable sense of freedom to any occasion and you feel like you can almost reach out and grab it the sense of freedom is so real. One of her favorite sayings is "I'm of this world, not from this world," and honestly, you have to admire her ability to connect and let go of all material holdings the rest of us feel pressured to acquire and achieve. 

The biggest element she's taught me is to dig and dig deep into your soul for what you really want. All our actions point to something we need and usually it's our egos that get in the way. For example, what we think we deserve or what we think we should of or accomplished isn't where your focus should be, instead you need to connect with the present moment and what's happening right around you right now.

And a blog tribute wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention one of her most admirable qualities that she does everyday is swimming or dunking herself in the Pacific. No matter the temperature of the water or how many surfers bogart the waves, she'll wonder out there into the blue depths in a white bikini and submerges herself completely without fear, without hestitation. I can't bring myself to do that although I stare out onto the Pacific every day watching the waves curl and pound along the surf break. I cop a squat along the sand and watch her mermaid tattoo come to life as she holds her nose and dives head first into the waves.

To Swim or Jump In
What's the ocean to you?
A place of escape?
Where the impending blue awaits?
Pulls, pushes and cascades
Never tired and never through

Commanding and daring
My mysterious deep
She shows her vail
Letting you peak beneath
Beckoning to dive in

Toes grip the sand
Digging in, hanging on
Unafraid of the sound
Walking until there's no ground
The water frees your feet

Waves roar as an invitation
The call to investigate beneath
Submerged by its force
Your head dips into the arc
It's coolness churns your blood

Head up, stay above
Paddle with your hands
Kick with your feet
Swimming back to land
Drenched with sighs of relief

No comments:

Post a Comment