Thursday, March 18, 2010

To Accept or Not to Accept?

As you get to know people, it's fascinating to watch their reactions to events, people, places and things - all nouns really. And then you get to ask yourself:
Can I handle this behavior? 
Is this something I want to be around? 
For those with significant others,"can I live with this?"

Of course, there is something in all of us that rubs someone else the wrong way, etc . . . every relationship comes with its trade offs. For example, I'm friends with a person because of they have a loyal and loving nature, however, it annoys me when they flake or what have you. We all concede to others' misgivings to a degree.

My question is how to find that degree and therefore, know when to stop acquiescing to those unappreciated traits. 
Accepting too much has been one of my glowing flaws. Perhaps "accepting" is to nice of a word, the real descriptor is "tolerating" - yes, I tolerated too much from friends and loved ones. I'm avid to not make the same mistake twice. 

To learn from your mistakes is to work on yourself. I am consistently revising my behavior, i.e., how I react, what I say, body language . . . etc. It's toilsome and requires conscious effort, but ultimately is rewarding. I remain hopeful, through all my hard work, new habits can form and this transformation will become easier and easier. I am hopeful.

But, when getting to know someone else, it is normal to question or wonder if you can accept their reactions, their behavior and how they respond during moments of tension. Everyone has their own way of dealing with stress and unfortunate situations.

However, good questions to ask yourself are:
"How am I responding to this person?"
"Am I giving this person what they need right now?"
"Or am I making the situation worse?"

The ideal conclusion is knowing we each have a part to play.

Notice of Assent
Uncomfortable silences stifle the air
My Darling trembles lying naked there
Defeated in the midst of the fight
Assume pleas of comfort in morning's light
It's a misguided tactic, a mistaken approach
Covering up - expression seethes reproach
Exposing vulnerability, hands reach out
Expressing desires and commitment devout



No comments:

Post a Comment