Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Friendly Discussions

Expressing yourself in the most articulate fashion can be challenging at times, however, necessary. It's crucial to feel free enough with friends and family to say exactly what's on your mind, just one needs to find the perfect balance of finesse and constructive commentary.

Keeping in mind not all things need to be said, but when you feel your back pressed against a concrete, cold wall . . . perhaps, it is time to say something. But how - how do you say it?

Communication is a funny thing - most of the time people just want to be validated and their feelings acknowledged/respected. I think that's pretty (a) human and (b) reasonable.

Effective communication encompasses creating a safe environment where the other person in the conversation (hopefully, there are two of you) doesn't ever feel defensive or attacked. If that does happen, your communication method has just been denied, revoked, no collecting $200 - you are done and that relationship has just suffered the consequences.
Good luck I say.

Words to live by:
(a) No yelling
(b) Never name calling, finger pointing and for God's sake, no accusatory statements.
(c) Accepting some of the blame
(d) Listening
(e) Knowing when to stop talking
(f) Being aware the only element within your control is yourself - that's right - that's it.

So, for now, those are the only thoughts I have regarding "friendly" confrontations. It seems like I've had my share lately. But, each person I have opened up to regarding my feelings has accepted my position rather well. Even those I didn't expect. Perhaps even, as a result, just by saying how I felt in a positive, constructive way, a relationship I thought was beyond repair maybe repairable after all.

Cautious on that thought though - just need to be cautious. But, there is a potential there that wasn't there before. So, not bad.

Inefficiency
Venomous tongue beware
Slipping sentences snare
Intentions flatten there
Yearning hope declare
Message crumbles despair

No comments:

Post a Comment